Hot Springs Village Job Openings
RECREATION DEPARTMENT: LIFEGUARD – Continuous Open Posting
Part Time Position – Approximately six hours 2-3 days per week. Monitors activities in swimming areas of Coronado Fitness Center and DeSoto Pool to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers. Must have or willing to obtain Red Cross Lifeguard Certification. If not already certified, inquire about a class at the Coronado Fitness Center. Good public relations skills are necessary. Must be able to maintain lifeguard physical requirements at all times. E.O.E.
Job Title: Lifeguard
Reports To: Coronado Fitness Center Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Pay Grade: 02
Approved By: Director of Lifestyle and Community Development
Approved Date: 11/20/13
Summary Monitors activities in swimming areas of Coronado Fitness Center and DeSoto Pool to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers by performing the following duties. Job may require some evening, weekend and holiday schedules.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Delivers outstanding customer service, making every effort to accommodate their needs.
- Ensure the safety of patrons and staff through accident prevention and enforcing all facility and POA rules and regulations. Maintains an alert and ready position while on duty.
- Provide water assistance and first aid according to national standards.
- Maintains order in swimming areas.
- Inspects facilities and maintains cleanliness of area.
- Non-guarding hours are for pool and area maintenance and not personal time.
- Know location of pertinent safety equipment.
- In order to be able to perform required duties as a lifeguard, employee must be prepared to swim a minimum of one mile per month and keep a record of dates and number of laps done each time. Employee will be encouraged to become involved in a strength training program.
- Maintain skills of CPR, AED, lifeguard rescues and assists and other skills as needed.
- Attend required number of hours of in-service as a mandatory part of lifeguard license every month. Failure to do so may result in immediate termination.
- Help maintain a clean and tidy pool area.
- If functioning as a P.I.C., will: a) Monitor water quality through testing for chemical balance and report the results to the appropriate staff member. b) Monitor oxygen levels, check AED for battery function and check contents of AED case. c) When Aquatic Coordinator is not present, will be in charge of lifeguards during that shift and handling members’ complaints. d) Will work with the Learn to Swim program.
- Lifeguards will be prepared to respond to emergencies, i.e. water rescues, cardiac and breathing emergencies, strokes, choking and first aid throughout CFC facility.
- Regular attendance is required.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. A lifeguard must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays. Must be 18 years of age or older.
Education and/or Experience
Must be enrolled in High School or be a High School graduate. Must have good inter-personal skills.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak and communicate in English and present programs effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Red Cross Lifeguard Certification is required as a condition of employment. If employee will be functioning also as a P.I.C., must have completed Basic Leadership Training.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be physically fit at all times to handle a multiple number of classes daily/weekly. Employee is required to demonstrate exercises on land and in the water. Must be able to maintain lifeguard physical requirements at all times as set by management.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and have 20/20 vision with or without corrective lenses. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance and must be able to ascend and descend ladders, steps and steep ramps. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.